Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Beans, beans the magical fruit...

Its a rainy, gray day in Austin and I'm craving black bean soup. Growing up whenever my mom would cook beans my sister and I would dance around singing "beans, beans the magical fruit, the more you eat...". I'll spare you the end of the song, but you can go here to learn it.

My nutritionist told me to try incorporating more beans into my diet, so I started with black beans and discovered there are many more ways to enjoy them than I knew about. Enjoy the recipe and let me know if you try it and make any adjustments!


Care's Black Bean Soup
2 Cups black beans (I use dry beans, but two cans would be just fine)
2 cloves garlic- finely chopped
1/2 onion- finely chopped (any type of onion would be good)
4-5 Cups water
1/2 to 1 Cup salsa verde or tomatillo salsa (I made my own, but there are lots of great  pre-made options)
Salt and pepper

1. Prep the black beans. If you are using dry beans soak overnight, or quick soak according to package directions. If using a can, drain and rinse.
2. Combine beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and salsa. Combine as much or as little salsa as you like. Could also use a red salsa, and can add more once the beans are cooked too.
3. Add the water and cook the beans on simmer for about an hour and half, or until beans are tender.
4. Ladle out a lot of the cooking liquid and save in case your soup is too thick. You could either be done and enjoy or puree all or part of the soup here. I puree it all using an immersion blender right in my pot, but a blender works well too. Some people only puree half of the soup so they still have the whole bean consistency. I love the pureed consistency the immersion blender gives the soup. If you use a blender pour the soup back in the pot after blending to warm again. 
5. Serve! Top with sour cream, cheese, avocado, or fried tortilla strips.

*You could also reduce the liquid after cooking, before you puree or blend for a thicker puree that would be a nice addition to plate a dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment