Thursday, September 2, 2010

Eat More Grains!

I've been meeting with nutritionist, Laura CaJacob, to learn about easy ways to adjust what I eat that will promote long term health benefits. One of the first things she told me was to incorporate more grains into my diet. So I packed up my reusable shopping bags and headed to bulk aisle at Whole Foods. I felt so earthy, green, and totally out of my element. But after 30 minutes of analyzing and searching I ended up with:
-Bulgar Wheat
-Whole Wheat Couscous
-Stone Cut Oats
-Barley

Its been a fun week of trying new recipes! My favorite so far was Old Fashion Spaghetti & Meatballs made with Bulgar. This dish even passed the kid test- Tristan (3) and Isabella (8) LOVED this dish! (And they didn't even know it was healthy). I incorporated a new grain, lots of tomatoes, whole wheat pasta and was pleasantly surprised with how satisfying the meal was!

While enjoying my morning coffee the Today Show ran a great segment about trying to new grains. Check out these awesome recipes- I'll be blogging about a few of them soon!

Blog Bonus:
My godson started pre-school today.  How cool is this dinosaur sandwich? You can tell by his dino shirt, backpack and lunch box that he is as obsessed with dinos as I am cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment