Friday, March 18, 2011

Spicy Mexican Red Beans and Rice

Whenever I get rice and beans at a restaurant my first instinct is to mix them together, add some salsa and dig in. Its a natural combination of flavors that is a perfect side to my favorite Mexican dishes like enchiladas, tacos and tamales. Tonight I wanted to cook some fresh tamales from Josie in Pearsall, TX (a frequent blog reader) and thought rice and beans would be the perfect compliment. I placed the tamales on a grill pan on medium heat with a bit of olive oil and let them brown and crisp up. The insides ended up warm with a roasted flavor. Using ingredients I had in the pantry I created my own version of red beans and rice with a spicy Mexican kick. As always, use what you have and adapt to your taste but below are the ingredients I used!

1 cup uncooked white or brown rice (and water according to package instructions)
1 can Rotel
1 can kidney beans
1 can pork and beans
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 tablespoon chiptole Tabasco
Salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic powder (all to taste)

Add all ingredients to rice cooker or pot on stove top until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Pair with you favorite meat, taco or tamale! 

No comments:

Post a Comment